News & features
Oct 27, 2014
At a Newberry Seminar workshop on the history of the book.
It's just past the midpoint of the fall semester, and the 22 students in the ACM Newberry Seminar in Chicago are intensively digging into their independent research projects.
That doesn't mean, though, that they've disappeared into their library carrels for the next few weeks, not to be seen until they emerge at the end of the term with their completed research papers in hand.
The program's emphasis on developing a research community, as well as honing each student's skills as a researcher, ensures that the students will remain engaged with their classmates, the seminar faculty, and the librarians and scholars at the Newberry Library even as the individual projects take center stage in the students' daily lives. Read more
Exploring the Humanities in a Digital Age at the Newberry Jan 20, 2014
- Knowledge and technology will be the focus when Monmouth College professors Bridget Draxler and Hannah Schell lead the fall 2014 Newberry Seminar.
Creativity, Discovery, and Building Research Skills within a Community of Scholars Dec 4, 2012
- Colorado College professors William Davis and Eric Perramond will lead students on a search for compelling stories in the collections of the Newberry Library during the fall 2013 seminar.
Keeping the Bigger Picture in Mind Leads to Award for Outstanding Research Apr 16, 2012
- Chloe Souza from Macalester College, along with two other finalists, are honored for their independent research on ACM off-campus programs in Costa Rica and at the Newberry Library.
Advice in the Newberry Seminar to "Ask a Question, Start to Answer" Sparks an Intellectual Adventure Apr 3, 2012
- A single map set Scott Heerman on a scholarly path that has taken him to graduate school, searching through county courthouses in southern Illinois, and back to the Newberry on a research fellowship.
Lost in "Wild" Cities in Search of Patterns, Connections, and Surprises Nov 30, 2011
- Professors Brian Bockelman and David Miller will team up to lead students in exploring the nature of the modern metropolis on the fall 2012 Newberry Seminar.
Feature archive »
- Fall 2015 Newberry Library Seminar to Explore Theme of "Knowing Your Place: Human and Social Geography" Jun 30, 2014
- Visiting faculty will mentor students' independent research projects in the humanities.
- Visiting Faculty Positions Available on ACM Programs in Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and U.S. Dec 12, 2013
- Call for Applications covers off-campus study posts during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years.
- Newberry Seminar Research Topics Span Millennia and Raise Intriguing Questions Nov 25, 2013
- Students' presentations reflect their intellectual curiosity and engagement with the library's collections.
- Knowledge and Technology Will be Topic when Monmouth Professors Lead the Newberry Seminar in 2014 Aug 8, 2013
- Bridget Draxler and Hannah Schell selected to team-teach ACM program emphasizing independent research in the humanities.
- Visiting Faculty Positions Are Available in 2014-15 on ACM Programs in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the U.S. Nov 19, 2012
- With the programs' wide-ranging curricula, there are opportunities for faculty from across the disciplines.
- Once Again, the Newberry Library Opens Its Doors to ACM Students Sep 12, 2012
- Fall seminar participants take part in event marking the library’s 125th Anniversary.
More news »
Season's Greetings from all of us at the Associated Colleges of the Midwest! Click here for our 2014 holiday greeting.
View full photo »
More photos »