News & features
Jan 20, 2014
Bridget Draxler (left) and Hannah Schell
Why go to a library or an archive when so much of what's on the shelves is available online? How does digital technology affect the ways we create, organize, and access knowledge? In a digital age, do we see the world differently?
These are just some of the questions that Monmouth College professors Hannah Schell and Bridget Draxler will explore with their students this fall when they co-teach ACM's Newberry Seminar: Research in the Humanities.
Their seminar topic, Knowledge and Technology: From Socrates to the Digital Age, will examine the relationship between knowledge, technology, and power – first historically, and then moving to the present day to focus on the emergence and future of the digital humanities. The students will also have the chance to take the next step and become digital knowledge producers themselves in their independent research projects. Read more
Creativity, Discovery, and Building Research Skills within a Community of Scholars Dec 4, 2012
- Colorado College professors William Davis and Eric Perramond will lead students on a search for compelling stories in the collections of the Newberry Library during the fall 2013 seminar.
Keeping the Bigger Picture in Mind Leads to Award for Outstanding Research Apr 16, 2012
- Chloe Souza from Macalester College, along with two other finalists, are honored for their independent research on ACM off-campus programs in Costa Rica and at the Newberry Library.
Advice in the Newberry Seminar to "Ask a Question, Start to Answer" Sparks an Intellectual Adventure Apr 3, 2012
- A single map set Scott Heerman on a scholarly path that has taken him to graduate school, searching through county courthouses in southern Illinois, and back to the Newberry on a research fellowship.
Lost in "Wild" Cities in Search of Patterns, Connections, and Surprises Nov 30, 2011
- Professors Brian Bockelman and David Miller will team up to lead students in exploring the nature of the modern metropolis on the fall 2012 Newberry Seminar.
Newberry Library Is a Perfect Match for Student's Love of Research and Writing Apr 18, 2011
- Virginia Henry, winner of the 2011 Award for Outstanding Research on an ACM Program, pulled many interests together in her independent project on the ACM Newberry Seminar.
Feature archive »
- Visiting Faculty Positions Available on ACM Programs in Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and U.S. Dec 12, 2013
- Call for Applications covers off-campus study posts during the 2015-16 and 2016-17 academic years.
- Polls Are Open for Fans' Choice Voting in Off-Campus Study Photo Contest for Students Dec 9, 2013
- Give a thumbs up to your favorite entries on the ACM Facebook page.
- Newberry Seminar Research Topics Span Millennia and Raise Intriguing Questions Nov 25, 2013
- Students' presentations reflect their intellectual curiosity and engagement with the library's collections.
- Knowledge and Technology Will be Topic when Monmouth Professors Lead the Newberry Seminar in 2014 Aug 8, 2013
- Bridget Draxler and Hannah Schell selected to team-teach ACM program emphasizing independent research in the humanities.
- Visiting Faculty Positions Are Available in 2014-15 on ACM Programs in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the U.S. Nov 19, 2012
- With the programs' wide-ranging curricula, there are opportunities for faculty from across the disciplines.
- Once Again, the Newberry Library Opens Its Doors to ACM Students Sep 12, 2012
- Fall seminar participants take part in event marking the library’s 125th Anniversary.
More news »
Seasons Greetings from all of us at the Associated Colleges of the Midwest! Click for our 2012 holiday greeting.
View full photo »
More photos »