News & features
Dec 4, 2012
"It's discovery. It's finding amazing things about the world around you," said Colorado College professor William Davis, describing what students can expect during a semester at the Newberry Library in Chicago.
Newberry Seminar participants examining a map during a presentation by library staff.
If the idea of doing research in a library conjures up the image of a solitary figure cocooned among piles of books and manuscripts, think again.
"When you're in the Newberry Library, in this realm of scholarship and study, you can really concentrate on working with other people. It's just not the same as sitting with your laptop in a dorm room somewhere, typing around in Google to see what you can find about a topic."
Next fall, Davis and a colleague at Colorado College, Eric Perramond, will lead the ACM Newberry Seminar: Research in the Humanities. It's clear they see the program as a place where students use their creativity and develop their research skills as part of a community of scholars – no solitary figures there – with both immediate and long-term benefits. Read more
Keeping the Bigger Picture in Mind Leads to Award for Outstanding Research Apr 16, 2012
- Chloe Souza from Macalester College, along with two other finalists, are honored for their independent research on ACM off-campus programs in Costa Rica and at the Newberry Library.
Advice in the Newberry Seminar to "Ask a Question, Start to Answer" Sparks an Intellectual Adventure Apr 3, 2012
- A single map set Scott Heerman on a scholarly path that has taken him to graduate school, searching through county courthouses in southern Illinois, and back to the Newberry on a research fellowship.
Lost in "Wild" Cities in Search of Patterns, Connections, and Surprises Nov 30, 2011
- Professors Brian Bockelman and David Miller will team up to lead students in exploring the nature of the modern metropolis on the fall 2012 Newberry Seminar.
Newberry Library Is a Perfect Match for Student's Love of Research and Writing Apr 18, 2011
- Virginia Henry, winner of the 2011 Award for Outstanding Research on an ACM Program, pulled many interests together in her independent project on the ACM Newberry Seminar.
Tempting, Astounding, Challenging – Read All About It in the ACM Student Blogs Sep 24, 2010
- With words and photos, and in their distinctive voices, Global Ambassadors offer unfiltered views of their off-campus study experiences around the world.
Feature archive »
- Polls Are Open for Fans' Choice Voting in Off-Campus Study Photo Contest for Students Dec 9, 2013
- Give a thumbs up to your favorite entries on the ACM Facebook page.
- Newberry Seminar Research Topics Span Millennia and Raise Intriguing Questions Nov 25, 2013
- Students' presentations reflect their intellectual curiosity and engagement with the library's collections.
- Knowledge and Technology Will be Topic when Monmouth Professors Lead the Newberry Seminar in 2014 Aug 8, 2013
- Bridget Draxler and Hannah Schell selected to team-teach ACM program emphasizing independent research in the humanities.
- Visiting Faculty Positions Are Available in 2014-15 on ACM Programs in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the U.S. Nov 19, 2012
- With the programs' wide-ranging curricula, there are opportunities for faculty from across the disciplines.
- Once Again, the Newberry Library Opens Its Doors to ACM Students Sep 12, 2012
- Fall seminar participants take part in event marking the library’s 125th Anniversary.
- Colorado College Professors William Davis and Eric Perramond to Lead the Fall 2013 Newberry Seminar May 17, 2012
- Students explore primary source materials and conduct independent research at the Newberry Library in Chicago.
More news »
Seasons Greetings from all of us at the Associated Colleges of the Midwest! Click for our 2012 holiday greeting.
View full photo »
More photos »