ACM college faculty are in Jordan studying Sustainability on the Margins with the 2015 SAIL seminar.
View full photo »
More photos »
Jul 11, 2015
The rock-cut Treasury in the ancient city of Petra.
More than 2,500 years ago, residents of the ancient city of Petra built a sophisticated water management system that sustained a thriving center of commerce in the rocky desert of what is now Jordan.
Today, Petra is an archaeological gem and a World Heritage Site. The designation has spurred a rush of economic development and tourism, which in turn is putting environmental pressure on the fragile structures at the site and displacing local residents who have lived in the area for generations.
How can Jordanians sustain the rich cultural heritage of Petra while addressing current economic and social needs and realities? More broadly, what do sustainable environmental, cultural, and political practices look like?
Those are among the questions that 15 faculty from five ACM colleges will explore this summer in Jordan. Read more
A Novel Experience: Immersion in Writing and Culture in India Jun 24, 2015
- For Peter Raffel, plunging into daily life and creative writing made the India Program an intense, powerful experience. Now he’s returning to Pune as the program’s Alumni Fellow.
Food Draws Monmouth Professor to the ACM Jordan Program May 25, 2015
- Amy Caldwell de Farias will teach about the history of food and mentor students’ independent projects as visiting faculty in Jordan for fall 2015.
On the Front Lines of Human Rights Activism May 15, 2015
- With her tireless organizing against police torture, Chicago Program faculty member Dorothy Burge has inspired students and helped bring about the city's historic reparations ordinance.
More features »
- Monmouth and Ripon Professors Tapped as Visiting Faculty on ACM Programs in Fall 2016 Jul 19, 2015
- Marlo Belschner and Sarah Kraaz will share expertise with students and pursue research in India and Florence.
- Institute on College Futures Will Give Faculty a Plunge into College Finances Jun 18, 2015
- Seminar aims to increase knowledge about the economic challenges that colleges face.
- Four Students Awarded Gilman Scholarships to Participate in ACM Programs This Fall Jun 15, 2015
- Students from Grinnell, Knox, Lake Forest, and Lawrence receive competitive study abroad grants.
- From Pedagogy to Health and Safety, Conference Has Resources for Off-Campus Program Faculty Jun 12, 2015
- ACM hosted program directors and 2015-16 visiting faculty at annual professional development conference on June 8-10.
- FaCE Program Awards $83,000 in Funding for Faculty Projects Jun 10, 2015
- Proposals for a Makerspace, Video Pen-Pals, and ACM Film Festival are selected in very competitive Spring 2015 cycle.
- Opportunity for a Recent Graduate of an ACM College to Teach English in Costa Rica May 19, 2015
- Annual position teaching English at the University of Costa Rica (UCR) is result of ties with the ACM Costa Rica programs.
Michael Kors Factory Outlet Online
More news »
Entire calendar »