Four students from ACM colleges have been awarded $4,000 scholarships to participate in the ACM Brazil: Environmental Studies Exchange program in 2010-11. This exciting new program offers environmental studies in an interdisciplinary, cross-cultural context, giving students a global perspective on environmental issues.
Students in the program enroll at one of ACM’s two partner universities in Brazil – the Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora (UFJF) and the Universidade de Brasília (UnB) – where they study Portuguese language and take regular university courses alongside Brazilian classmates. To complete the exchange, the four students’ ACM colleges will each host a Brazilian student for a semester in 2011.
On the campus of the Universidade Federal de Juiz de Fora (UFJF).
Funding for the scholarships is part of a four-year, $265,000 grant from the Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE) of the U.S. Department of Education. The four students, who have been named as ACM-Brazil FIPSE Environmental Fellows, are:
- Carolyn Barnwell, Colorado College, major in Environmental Policy;
- Cameron Combs, Carleton College, major in Latin American Studies and minor in Political Economy;
- Garrett Lund, Colorado College, major in Environmental Policy and minor in Latin American Studies; and
- Sarah Velez, Colorado College, major in Art Studio and minor in Environmental Issues.
All four students have chosen to attend UFJF, with Barnwell, Combs, and Lund participating in the fall 2010 semester and Velez participating in spring 2011.
Students in the exchange program pay tuition to their home ACM colleges. The scholarships will cover the cost of Portuguese language study in Brazil prior to the start of classes and expenses such as transportation, housing, meals, and books during the program.
Typically, students will need to apply by the March 15 deadline to be eligible for a scholarship to study in Brazil during the following fall or spring semesters. For the spring 2011 semester, however, the scholarship selection committee expects to have one additional scholarship available for a student who applies at the October 15 deadline.
In addition to the Environmental Studies option, the ACM Brazil Exchange also offers a Liberal Arts & Sciences option, in which students enroll at UFJF and choose among courses across the curriculum.
- ACM Brazil Semester Exchange Programs
- Faculty advisors at ACM colleges for the Brazil Programs
- News article about the Brazil: Environmental Studies Exchange Program