Exuberant dancing at a festival in India … the serenity of a mosque in Amman, Jordan … a group of children in Swaziland, bowls in hand, patiently awaiting lunchtime – these are images that speak to the rich variety of students’ experiences while studying on off-campus programs around the world.
Those three images will be among 22 photos shown on ACM campuses this winter and spring in a traveling exhibit of winning pictures from the 2012-13 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest. The contest and traveling exhibit were first held five years ago as part of ACM’s 50th anniversary celebration and have been held annually since then.
“Couscous,” a picture taken by Lawrence University student Xavier Al-Mateen of Sengalese women at work, was selected as the Grand Prize winner. The contest’s panel of judges also awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place in each of three categories – People, Stories, and Artistry – and gave Honorable Mention recognition to ten photos. The exhibit will include the judges’ selections plus the winners of the Fans’ Choice Awards, chosen through voting by more than 500 visitors to the ACM Facebook page.
Ninety-five photos, all taken by current students at ACM colleges and submitted through the colleges’ off-campus study offices, were entered in this year’s contest. All of the entries can be viewed on the ACM Facebook page.
The exact dates of the on-campus exhibits may vary within the dates listed below. Check with the Off-Campus Study offices at the host colleges for details.
Off-Campus Photo Contest Traveling Exhibit
All dates are in 2013
- Beloit College, Beloit, WI: March 16-27
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN: March 2-15
- Coe College, Cedar Rapids, IA: January 26 – February 7
- Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO: February 20 – March 1
- Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, IA: April 21-29
- Knox College, Galesburg, IL: January 3-14
- Luther College, Decorah, IA: February 8-19
- Monmouth College, Monmouth, IL: January 15-25
- Ripon College, Ripon, WI: March 28 – April 8
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN: April 28 through the summer
- ACM Student Symposium on Off-Campus Study, Chicago, IL: April 12-13