From a celebration in Guatemala to an Indian motor scooter rider engulfed by balloons to strands of decorative lights warming up a winter’s night in Sweden – the photos are vivid reminders of the experiences that ACM students enjoyed as they studied around the world.
“Day’s End” was awarded the Grand Prize in the 2011-12 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest.
Photo by Jake Reznick, Carleton College
During the next several months the pictures – instead of the students who took them – will hit the road as ACM colleges host a traveling exhibit of 25 photos that won awards in the 2011-12 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest.
Now in its fourth year, the annual contest highlights the ACM colleges’ strong commitment to off-campus study. The contest is open to current students on ACM campuses, and a total of 131 photos, submitted through the colleges’ off-campus studies offices, were entered in the contest.
The Grand Prize went to Jake Reznick, a senior at Carleton College, for “Day’s End,” his photo of a Chinese fan maker at work. Prizes were awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photos in three categories – people, stories, and artistry – and 14 photos received Honorable Mention recognition.
The contest went online for the first time this year to include a Fans’ Choice Award, which was decided through a week of voting on the ACM Facebook page. The award went to Jake Owens of Monmouth College, who snapped a picture of a slumbering iguana in the Galapagos Islands, which he titled “Lazy Day on the Island.”
All dates are in 2012
- Beloit College, Beloit, WI: March 23-April 6
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN: To be announced
- Coe College, Cedar Rapids, IA: February 1-26
- Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO: January 23-27
- Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, IA: April 9-20
- Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA: To be announced
- Knox College, Galesburg, IL: January 9-18
- Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, IL: To be announced
- Lawrence University, Appleton, WI: January 23-February 3
- Luther College, Decorah, IA: February 3-20
- Macalester College, St. Paul, MN: February 26-March 3
- Monmouth College, Monmouth, IL: February 22-April 4
- Ripon College, Ripon, WI: To be announced
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN: late April through the summer
- ACM Student Symposium on Off-Campus Study, Chicago, IL: April 13-14
For specific information about the time and place of the exhibit, please contact the Off-Campus Study office at the host college.
- 2011-12 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest – Prize-winning, Honorable Mention, and Fans’ Choice photos
- See all of the photos entered in the contest on the ACM Facebook page
- Read about the contest in “From Argentina to Zanzibar, Winning Photos Capture Students’ Off-Campus Study Experiences“