From a celebration in Guatemala to an Indian motor scooter rider engulfed by balloons to strands of decorative lights warming up a winter’s night in Sweden – the photos are vivid reminders of the experiences that ACM students enjoyed as they studied around the world.
Photo by Jake Reznick, Carleton College
During the next several months the pictures – instead of the students who took them – will hit the road as ACM colleges host a traveling exhibit of 25 photos that won awards in the 2011-12 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest.
Now in its fourth year, the annual contest highlights the ACM colleges’ strong commitment to off-campus study. The contest is open to current students on ACM campuses, and a total of 131 photos, submitted through the colleges’ off-campus studies offices, were entered in the contest.
The Grand Prize went to Jake Reznick, a senior at Carleton College, for “Day’s End,” his photo of a Chinese fan maker at work. Prizes were awarded for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place photos in three categories – people, stories, and artistry – and 14 photos received Honorable Mention recognition.
The contest went online for the first time this year to include a Fans’ Choice Award, which was decided through a week of voting on the ACM Facebook page. The award went to Jake Owens of Monmouth College, who snapped a picture of a slumbering iguana in the Galapagos Islands, which he titled “Lazy Day on the Island.”
All dates are in 2012
- Beloit College, Beloit, WI: March 23-April 6
- Carleton College, Northfield, MN: To be announced
- Coe College, Cedar Rapids, IA: February 1-26
- Colorado College, Colorado Springs, CO: January 23-27
- Cornell College, Mt. Vernon, IA: April 9-20
- Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA: To be announced
- Knox College, Galesburg, IL: January 9-18
- Lake Forest College, Lake Forest, IL: To be announced
- Lawrence University, Appleton, WI: January 23-February 3
- Luther College, Decorah, IA: February 3-20
- Macalester College, St. Paul, MN: February 26-March 3
- Monmouth College, Monmouth, IL: February 22-April 4
- Ripon College, Ripon, WI: To be announced
- St. Olaf College, Northfield, MN: late April through the summer
- ACM Student Symposium on Off-Campus Study, Chicago, IL: April 13-14
For specific information about the time and place of the exhibit, please contact the Off-Campus Study office at the host college.
- 2011-12 ACM Off-Campus Study Photo Contest – Prize-winning, Honorable Mention, and Fans’ Choice photos
- See all of the photos entered in the contest on the ACM Facebook page
- Read about the contest in “From Argentina to Zanzibar, Winning Photos Capture Students’ Off-Campus Study Experiences“