Whether it’s as close as Chicago or as far away as Pune, India, ACM off-campus study programs provide opportunities for faculty as well as students. Each year, ACM offers semester-length visiting positions in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the U.S. for faculty from ACM colleges.
With the programs’ wide-ranging curricula, visiting positions are available for faculty from all disciplines. For example, during this academic year and next, faculty from anthropology, biology, education, English, environmental science, German, history, music, political science, religion, and sociology will serve on ACM programs.
Students and Faculty Program Director James Godde (back row, right), a biology professor at Monmouth College, are in the field on the fall 2011 ACM Tanzania Program.
Photo courtesy of Erin Frankson
The visiting faculty positions also provide professional development opportunities and support, such as:
- Orientation at the ACM office and participation in a meeting of ACM off-campus program directors and visiting faculty;
- Teaching courses that use the program’s location to teach in ways not possible on campus and that address the program’s overall mission and learning goals;
- Overseeing independent study projects by students that are interdisciplinary and that take advantage of unique resources available at the program site;
- Working with on-site ACM staff and partners at local universities, and making professional contacts;
- Living in the program location and traveling locally to lead field trips; and
- Carrying out responsibilities in student advising and orientation.
ACM currently is seeking applicants from ACM colleges for the following visiting faculty positions on programs in 2014-15.
- Botswana: University Immersion in Southern Africa – Visiting Faculty/Program Director, Spring 2015
- Florence: Arts, Humanities, & Culture – Affiliated Scholar, Fall 2014
- India: Culture, Traditions, & Globalization – Faculty Coordinator, Fall 2014 (appointment for July/August 2014)
- Jordan: Middle East & Arabic Language Studies – Visiting Faculty, Fall 2014
- London & Florence: Arts in Context – Affiliated Scholar in Florence, Spring 2015
- London & Florence: Arts in Context – Visiting Faculty/Director in London, Spring 2015
- Newberry Seminar in the Humanities in Chicago – Faculty Co-Directors, Fall 2014
- Tanzania: Ecology & Human Origins – Visiting Faculty/Program Director, Fall 2014
The deadline for applications is January 31, 2013. Interested faculty should contact Joan Gillespie, ACM Vice President and Director of Off-Campus Study Programs (email@example.com; 312-263-5000) for more information.
In addition, ACM faculty are eligible for visiting positions with two affiliated programs: Japan Study (administered by Earlham College) and the Oak Ridge Science Semester (administered by Denison University).