Shanghai — China’s booming financial center — is the latest addition to the list of places around the world where faculty can spend a semester with an ACM off-campus study program.
Along with China, this year’s Call for Applications includes visiting faculty positions in Botswana, India, Italy, Jordan, Tanzania, the U.K., and the U.S.
Students on the fall 2014 Newberry Seminar with Faculty Co-Directors Bridget Draxler and Hannah Schell.
The visiting positions offer opportunities for faculty to network with on-site ACM staff and make professional contacts with experts at the program location, according to Joan Gillespie, ACM Vice President and Director of Off-Campus Study Programs.
“We’ve also had faculty who used their program experience to add comparative elements to their teaching,” Gillespie noted, “or they’ve gathered resources at the program site to use in their scholarly research or their course materials when they returned to their home campuses.”
The positions are open to faculty across the disciplines. Faculty serving on ACM programs this academic year teach anthropology, biology, communication, English, history and Africana studies, modern languages and literatures, philosophy and religious studies, and theatre.
While the particular responsibilities of visiting positions with ACM vary from program to program, they generally include some combination of teaching a course in the faculty member’s area of expertise, guiding students on independent research or practicum projects, serving as a liaison with partners at local universities, and leading student orientation activities and field trips.
Visiting positions currently available on ACM programs are:
- Botswana: Development in Southern Africa – Visiting Faculty Director, Spring 2017
- Florence: Arts, Humanities, & Culture – Affiliated Scholar, Fall 2017
- India: Culture, Traditions, & Globalization – Faculty Coordinator, Fall 2016
- London & Florence: Arts in Context – Visiting Faculty Director in London (Spring 2018) and Affiliated Scholar in Florence (Spring 2018)
- Jordan: Middle East & Arabic Language Studies – Visiting Faculty, Fall 2016
- Newberry Seminar: Research in the Humanities – Faculty Co-Directors, Fall 2017
- Shanghai: Perspectives on Contemporary China – Visiting Faculty Director, Fall 2016
- Tanzania: Ecology & Human Origins – Visiting Faculty Director, Fall 2017
The deadline to apply for positions on programs in Botswana, Florence, India, London, Tanzania, and at the Newberry Library in Chicago is February 15, 2015, and the deadline for positions in Jordan and Shanghai is March 15, 2015.
ACM faculty are also eligible to apply for visiting faculty positions with Japan Study and the Oak Ridge Science Semester.
- Call for Applications: Visiting Faculty Positions on ACM programs