Lively and cosmopolitan Rio de Janeiro is the latest addition to the ACM portfolio of off-campus program sites and to the list of cities around the world where faculty from ACM colleges can spend a semester as a visiting faculty member.
Along with Brazil, this year’s Call for Applications includes visiting faculty positions on consortial programs in Botswana, China, India, Italy, Jordan, Tanzania, the U.K., and the U.S.
Ripon professor Memuna Khan (at right, standing) and Tanzania Program students visiting a spice farm in Zanzibar.
“Much like the students on the program, my experience as visiting faculty director has been transformational for me,” wrote Ripon College biologist Memuna Khan, who served as Visiting Faculty Director of the ACM Tanzania Program in fall 2013.
In an essay about her semester in Tanzania, Khan cited the challenges of operating in a different culture, the value of forging relationships with international colleagues, and the global perspective she brought back to her teaching at Ripon as some of the benefits she’s gained from her experience off-campus.
ACM’s off-campus programs are interdisciplinary and the visiting positions are open to faculty from across the disciplines. Faculty serving on ACM programs this academic year come from seven different colleges and teach anthropology, biology, geography, English, history, economics, music, and art history.
Shanghai Program participants and Visiting Faculty Director Liang Ding visiting the Great Wall of China during a weekend excursion to Beijing.
While the particular responsibilities of visiting positions with ACM vary from program to program, they generally include some combination of teaching a course in the faculty’s area of expertise, guiding students on independent research or practicum projects, serving as a liaison with partners at local universities, and leading student orientation activities and field trips.
The ACM office provides training for visiting faculty at the annual Program Directors and Visiting Faculty Conference prior to departure to the program site, as well as ongoing support throughout the program, and visiting faculty work closely with on-site ACM staff and partners.
Visiting positions currently available on ACM programs are:
- Botswana: Development in Southern Africa – Visiting Faculty Director, Spring 2018
- Brazil: Culture, Community, & Language at PUC-Rio – Visiting Faculty Director, Fall 2017
- Florence: Arts, Humanities, & Culture – Affiliated Scholar, Fall 2018
- India: Culture, Traditions, & Globalization – Faculty Coordinator, August 2017
- London & Florence: Arts in Context – Visiting Faculty Director in London (Spring 2019) and Affiliated Scholar in Florence (Spring 2019)
- Jordan: Middle East & Arabic Language Studies – Visiting Faculty, Fall 2016 or Fall 2017
- Newberry Seminar: Research in the Humanities – Faculty Co-Directors, Fall 2018
- Shanghai: Perspectives on Contemporary China – Visiting Faculty Director, Fall 2017
- Tanzania: Ecology & Human Origins – Visiting Faculty Director, Fall 2017
The deadline to apply for positions on programs in Botswana, Brazil, Florence, India, London, Tanzania, and at the Newberry Library in Chicago is February 15, 2016, and the deadline for positions in Jordan and Shanghai is March 1, 2016.