ACM Statement in Response to U.S. Supreme Court Ruling on Race in Admissions
The Associated Colleges of the Midwest, a consortium of 14 liberal arts colleges with a long history of collaboration, values having a diverse campus community, reflective of our nation, which elevates the educational environment for everyone. Following the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on race in admissions, the ACM will continue to support our colleges and their work in advancing all forms of diversity and inclusion among their student populations. We are hopeful that our collaborations with member institutions and other consortial partners will continue to reduce systemic barriers to higher education and prepare students to enter a diverse workforce.
About the Associated Colleges of the Midwest
The Associated Colleges of the Midwest is an incubator and catalyst for programming that advances the academic and professional success of faculty, students, and staff at its 14 liberal arts member campuses. The member colleges launched the ACM in 1958, building on a long-established tradition of athletic competition dating back to the 1920s. Today, the ACM enriches residential liberal arts education and strengthens its members through initiatives that can be done more effectively in collaboration than by any single college alone. By cultivating partnerships, attracting funding, building communities of practice, and creating a space to experiment and innovate, ACM multiplies the power of its vital member institutions as a force for good in the world.
Responses from ACM Member Institutions
As of June 30, 2023
- Beloit College: Beloit College reconfirms diversity mission as Supreme Court rules against affirmative action
- Carleton College: Preparing for the Supreme Court decision on race-conscious admissions
- Colorado College: Our Steadfast Commitment to Enrolling a Diverse Student Body
- Cornell College: Cornell College committed to individualized admission process
- Grinnell College: Response to Supreme Court Decision on Affirmative Action
- Knox College: Response to Supreme Court Ruling
- Lake Forest College: Statement quoted on Instagram
- Lawrence University: Statement posted on Instagram
- Macalester College: Statement posted on Facebook and Instagram
- Ripon College: Statement in Response to U.S. Supreme Court Ruling