Japan Study will offer a new Intensive Language + Spring Semester option at Waseda University in Tokyo, giving students more flexibility to participate in the program’s in-depth academic and cultural experience.
The program is hosted by Waseda University, one of Japan’s premier universities, and participants take classes with students from Japan and around the world in the University’s School of International Liberal Studies.
Japan Study participants live in Tokyo and attend Waseda University.
Elective courses, taught in English, include topics in Japanese and Asian studies as well as courses across the curriculum, including science and math. Courses are taught by Waseda professors and by visiting international faculty.
Students participating in the five-month Intensive Language + Spring Semester (ILSS) option will arrive in Tokyo in late February and begin with an intensive Japanese language course for six weeks. After completing that course, they will enroll in Waseda University’s spring semester with classes from early April to the end of July.
As with the other Japan Study calendar options, ILSS students will have a home stay with a Japanese family, take part in field trips in Tokyo and the surrounding area, and enjoy opportunities to participate in a wide variety of extra-curricular activities at Waseda.
Students who are interested in participating in the ILSS option in spring 2012 should contact the Japan Study office (email@example.com; 765-983-1798) at Earlham College.
Japan Study Intensive Language + Spring Semester (ILSS)
- Late February to late July
- Six-week intensive Japanese language course: Classes on Monday through Thursday, with field trips in the Tokyo area on Friday
- Ten-day break in late March/early April
- Spring Semester at Waseda University: Early April to late July
Credits (semester hours)
- Six-week intensive language course: 5 credits
- Spring Semester at Waseda University: 13-16 credits total, including 5-6 credits of language and two or three additional courses related to Japan/Asia for 8-10 credits
- Total credits for ILSS: 18-21 semester hours
- Program fees for spring 2011 (subject to change for spring 2012): $23,000
The program fees cover the cost of the six-week intensive language course, room, partial board (breakfast and dinner with the host family), commuting expenses in Tokyo, Waseda University tuition, and administrative costs.
- Students are responsible for round-trip airfare, lunches, books, and personal expenses.
For more information about the program and calendar options, visit the Japan Study website.
Note: Complete details about the new ILSS option will be available on the Japan Study website in summer 2010. Descriptions of Japan Study’s Fall Semester and Full Year calendar options at Waseda apply to ILSS, except that ILSS students are not eligible for the Cultural Practicum.
Japan Study is a collaborative initiative in international education managed by Earlham College linking the member institutions of the Great Lakes Colleges Association, Inc. (GLCA) and the Associated Colleges of the Midwest (ACM) with Waseda University in Japan.